Hagerty Education Program Ambassador and former Indy 500 racer Lyn St. James will be part of a special restoration-themed panel discussion set for Saturday, August 15 during the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.
The 45-minute presentation – “Young People and Old Cars: The Future of Restoration” – is sponsored and hosted by the Hagerty Education Program at America’s Car Museum (HEP). It will be broadcasted live from the track during a race intermission.
McKeel Hagerty, CEO of Hagerty, will moderate the discussion, which will look at how the multi-billion dollar automotive restoration and preservation industry is focusing on young people as the next workforce.
Lyn will be joined by:
- Dominic Dobson (former Indy racer and national director of Club Auto, ACM)
- Stephen Murphy (curator and restoration specialist at Chicago Vintage Motor Carriage)
- Tim Chambers (auto tech instructor at Laguna Hills High School and HEP grant awardee)
- Josh Baum (conservationist for private California collector and former HEP intern at ACM)
- Stacey Pucket (McPherson College graduate currently working at RM Sotheby’s)
“With the growth of vintage racing and the excitement of motorsports, we need to create a pipeline of skilled and passionate people to restore and preserve extraordinary vehicles,” said St. James, who will also be racing in the Motorsports Reunion. “Hopefully the panel discussion at Laguna Seca will attract more racing enthusiasts to join the movement to protect America’s automotive heritage by supporting educational programs of restoration and preservation.”